This simple pasta dish serves as a great side dish for roasted, grilled or pan seared pork. The slight bitterness of the radicchio offsets the sweetness of the cabbage perfectly, and the anchovies add a fabulous layer of flavor with just a hint of saltiness.
Pasta with Cabbage, Radicchio and Garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic very finely chopped
- 6 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups radicchio thinly sliced
- 12 ounces casarecce gemelli or similar shaped cut of pasta
- Parmigiana-Reggiano for grating
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the anchovies and cook, stirring frequently, until they turn to a paste.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are nicely softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add half of the cabbage and cook until slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining cabbage and season well with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is soft and lightly caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the cabbage is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and return to the pan.
- Add the cabbage, mix well, then add the radicchio. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately, topped with grated Parmigiana-Reggiano.