These savory shortbread cookies are quick and easy to prepare. Made with parmesan cheese and spiced with black pepper, their rich, nutty flavor makes a nice addition to a first-course cheese plate.Print
Parmesan-Pepper Shortbread Bites
A savory version of a shortbread cookie made with tangy parmesan cheese and black pepper. Nice as an appetizer, served alongside other cheeses.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 36 pieces
- Category: Appetizers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1–1/3 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- Place the flour in a bowl and cut the butter in with a pastry blender or fork. Add the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and combine well. Add the egg yolks and work into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and form each into a log about 7-inches long. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment. Cut each log into thin slices (about 3/16-inch) and arrange on the baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Watch carefully. Cool for 10 minutes on wire racks.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature, 3 to 5 days.