This recipe is a variation on a traditional Spanish tapas dish. Oven-roasted potatoes are tossed with a tomato sauce that’s been simmered with onion, garlic, sherry and smoked paprika. The rich, pungent flavors make this dish a nice accompaniment for simple entrees like grilled steak or broiled fish.Print
Paprika-Roasted Potatoes with Tomato-Sherry Sauce
Smoked paprika, tomatoes, sherry and red bell peppers make a Spanish-style sauce for oven-roasted red potatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2–1/2 lbs red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks and place in a large bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over them and season with 1 teaspoon of the smoked paprika, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss to coat well and arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender when pierced with a knife.
- While the potatoes roast, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking until soft and golden, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Add the sherry and tomatoes and simmer gently until thick, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and combine well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.