Pantry Pasta Bake
One-dish meals are great for weeknight dining. This robustly flavored, baked pasta dish combines smoked chicken sausage with farfalle, sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts and asiago cheese and goes from pantry to table in less than 45 minutes. Serve with a salad for a complete meal.
Pantry Pasta Bake
- 1 lb smoked chicken sausage, fully cooked – see notes
- 8 ounces farfalle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar, 6-ounce marinated artichoke hearts
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta. Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch thick pieces and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and pale golden in color, 3 minutes. Add the sausage and chicken broth and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving the liquid and slice them in half lengthwise. Add them to the pan along with the sun-dried tomatoes and combine well. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- Cook the farfalle according to package directions, drain and toss with some of the reserved liquid from the artichoke hearts (see notes). Add the scallions and sausage mixture and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray and add half of the pasta mixture. Top with half of the grated asiago cheese, add the balance of the pasta and top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes to melt the cheese and blend the flavors.