Pan Seared Chicken with Caramelized Onions and Cheese
Topped with sweet onions caramelized in sherry and melted Muenster cheese, these pan seared chicken breasts turn out moist, tender and full of flavor every time.
Because it's quick and easy to make, the recipe is one of our favorites for a weeknight meal. It's pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or salad is all you need for a deliciously well-balanced dinner.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sherry, divided
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper on a dinner plate. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon each of the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until barely golden, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter and olive oil to the pan and add the onions. Sauté over medium heat until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons of the sherry and continue cooking, stirring continually, until the liquid has evaporated. Transfer the onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth and the remainder of the sherry to the pan and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and cook, turning frequently, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish and add the onions to the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then spoon a portion of the onions onto each chicken breast.
- Drizzle any remaining sauce over the chicken and top each piece with a portion of shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. To serve, plate individual portions of chicken and spoon the pan juices over top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 139mg Sodium: 543mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 44g