Fresh okra takes very well to high-heat oven roasting. This simple cooking method brings out the flavor and natural sweetness of the okra without producing the slimy texture people often object to.
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from the okra and place it in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat, then spread the okra in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the okra is tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a shallow baking pan with parchment.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon milk.
- Spread 1 cup of panko crumbs combined with 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of cayenne on a plate.
- Add the okra to the egg mixture a few pieces at a time, then roll them in the crumb mixture.
- Arrange on the parchment-lined pan and bake until the crumbs are toasted and the okra is tender, about 15 minutes.