Oven roasting is one of the simplest and tastiest ways you can prepare fresh Brussels sprouts. Because the high heat brings out their naturally sweet flavor the only other ingredients you need are a bit of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1-1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts, remove any loose outer leaves, then wash and pat dry.
- Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise and place them on the prepared pan, cut side up. Season lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle them with 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, seal tightly and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the foil (stand back a bit to avoid steam burns) and test one of the larger sprouts. The tip of a sharp knife should pierce the center easily.
- Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the sprouts and toss them with a spatula to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, then return them to the oven, uncovered.
- Continue roasting until the sprouts are very tender and nicely caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes more. Serve immediately.