These oven-grilled sandwiches are a delicious combination of creamy melted Camembert cheese, sweet sautéed onions, tender chicken and crisp, tart apple. A little bit of fresh thyme and a drizzle of honey for a hint of sweetness pulls the flavors together beautifully. Because we used a conservative amount of cheese, they’re not as rich as you may think.
Oven Grilled Chicken, Camembert and Apple Sandwiches
- 8 chicken tenderloins, about 1/2 lb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese, softened
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a baking sheet on the center rack.
- Lightly pound the chicken tenderloins to about 1/4-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and pale golden in color, about 3 minutes. Add the fresh thyme leaves, season lightly with salt and pepper and transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in the pan and add the chicken. Cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side and transfer to a plate.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread about 1 ounce of the Ile de France Camembert on each of 4 slices of bread. Top with a portion of apples, then a layer of onions. Drizzle with a small amount of honey, then add 2 pieces of chicken. Top with the remaining slice of bread. Press the sandwiches with the back of a spatula to flatten, then brush the outsides of the sandwiches with melted butter.
- Remove the preheated baking sheet from the oven and place the sandwiches on it Camembert side up. Watch carefully and when the top of the sandwich appears golden and toasted, remove from the oven, about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches over and return to the oven until the second side is toasted as well, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plates and allow to rest for about 2 minutes before cutting.