This quick, easy fish recipe adapts the ingredients and flavors of a classic Caesar salad dressing to make a savory topping for oven-baked fish. Made with mayonnaise, lemon, garlic and parmesan cheese, the topping adds a healthy dose of flavor and while ensuring that lean fish fillets like sole, flounder and tilapia cook up to be deliciously moist and tender.Print
Oven-Baked Fish with Caesar Topping
The flavors of a classic Caesar salad dressing adapt to make an easy, delicious topping for oven-baked fish fillets like sole, flounder and tilapia.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 mild white fish fillets (about 1 lb – tilapia, flounder or sole)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and very finely chopped (see notes)
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray. Season both sides of the fish with freshly ground black pepper and arrange it in a single layer on the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, anchovies, garlic, Worcestershire and mustard. Add a pinch of black pepper. Whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy. Fold in the parmesan cheese.
- Top each piece of fish with a dollop of the mayonnaise mixture and spread evenly over the entire fillet.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, or until the fish is opaque throughout.
Anchovy paste is a convenient and practical option when you only need a small amount of anchovy flavor in a recipe. Substitute 1 teaspoon of paste for 4 fillets. It is a tad saltier than the rinsed fillets, so adjust your seasonings accordingly.
As far as brands go, we like both Giovanni's and Crown Prince. One or the other should be available at your local supermarket. Check the aisle with the canned tuna.