The mellow sweetness of leeks sautéed in butter makes a wonderful addition to the classic flavor pairing of sour cream and dill. Add this combination to cooked orzo and you have a delicious, easy side dish that is perfect to serve with chicken or fish.Print
Orzo with Creamy Leeks and Dill
An easy side dish that combines cooked orzo with sautéed leeks, sour cream, fresh dill and squeeze of lemon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces orzo
- 3 medium leeks, cleaned and sliced (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon wedge
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for cooking the orzo.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the leeks. Cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks are soft and sweet and just beginning to turn golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the half-and-half, sour cream and dill and remove from the heat.
- Cook and drain the orzo according to package directions. Add to the leek mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then transfer to a serving bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the top and serve immediately.
Cleaning the leeks:
Because of the way they grow, leeks can accumulate a fair amount of sandy soil between their leaf layers.
For this recipe, the easiest way to clean them is to slice them first, then submerge them in a large bowl of cool water. Swish them around a little with your hands, then remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean kitchen towel.