Orzo with Creamy Leeks and Dill
The mellow sweetness of leeks sautéed in butter makes a wonderful addition to the classic flavor pairing of sour cream and dill. Add this combination to cooked orzo and you have a delicious, easy side dish that is perfect to serve with chicken or fish.
- 8 ounces orzo
- 3 medium leeks, cleaned and sliced (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon wedge
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for cooking the orzo.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the leeks.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks are soft and sweet and just beginning to turn golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the half-and-half, sour cream and dill and remove from the heat.
- Cook and drain the orzo according to package directions. Add to the leek mixture and toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon over the top and serve immediately.
Cleaning the leeks:
Because of the way they grow, leeks can accumulate a fair amount of sandy soil between their leaf layers.
For this recipe, the easiest way to clean them is to slice them first, then submerge them in a large bowl of cool water. Swish them around a little with your hands, then remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean kitchen towel.