Orange-Spiced Carrots and Quinoa
This orange-infused combination of carrots and quinoa is a healthy, hearty side dish that goes really well with roast chicken, pork, or salmon.
When served as a side dish, quinoa makes a healthy alternative to pasta and rice, and because it's so versatile, you can combine it with a wide range of other ingredients and flavors.
This recipe uses fresh carrots flavored with orange juice, orange marmalade, spicy English mustard and a hint of curry powder to create a tasty accompaniment to simple main courses like pan-seared chicken, oven-baked fish or roast pork.
You can also turn this recipe into a complete, one-dish dinner by adding some cooked chicken and sautéed greens like spinach or kale.
- 1 cup quinoa (we used a rainbow blend)
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared English mustard (Colman's)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa thoroughly and place it in a saucepan along with the chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Add the carrots and orange juice to a separate pan, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the carrots are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the pan and stir in the marmalade, mustard, turmeric and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more mustard if desired.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated and the carrots are nicely glazed, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add the quinoa, combine well and stir in the parsley. Cook for 1 minute to re-warm the quinoa, then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 462mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 18g