Orange Scented Wild Rice and Chestnuts
This blend of wild rice, white rice, and chestnuts is a versatile, make-ahead side dish with rich, earthy flavors and a mix of interesting textures.
A medley of wild and white rice combined with roasted chestnuts, orange, honey, and fresh thyme makes a versatile, great-tasting side dish that pairs well with any type of roasted poultry, pork or ham.
Since this dish can be made ahead and reheated, it’s a good side dish choice for entertaining, particularly around the holidays as chestnuts are a traditional ingredient.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped (see instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the wild rice and the wine.
- Cover tightly, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grains are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the white rice, cover again and simmer until all the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the butter, chestnuts, orange zest, orange juice, honey, and thyme.
- Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve, up to 1/2 hour.
How To Roast Chestnuts:
- Choose chestnuts that are plump and firm with no visible blemishes or mold.
- To roast, cut an "X" into the flat side of each chestnut with a sharp paring knife.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and peel off the outer shell and skin while the chestnuts are still hot because once they cool, peeling becomes a good deal more difficult.
- You may want to reduce the oven temp to about 250°F and work with just a few nuts at a time.
This dish may be prepared in advance and reheated. Stir in an extra tablespoon each of orange juice and butter, cover tightly and place in a 300°F for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once after about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.