Spinach is such a versatile ingredient to use as a base for a salad because it pairs well with a wide variety of flavors. In this recipe we combine it with fresh oranges, thin strips of orange glazed grilled steak and an orange-balsamic vinaigrette.Print
Orange Glazed Beef and Spinach Salad
Spinach salad makes a great meal when topped with thin strips of orange glazed grilled steak and a sprinkling of salty cashews.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1/2 lb boneless NY strip steak, 1-inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into sections
- 2 thin slices sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cashews, chopped
- Thin slices of toasted baguette (optional – see notes)
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Drizzle a little vegetable oil on both sides of the steak and season liberally with salt and pepper. Grill 2 to 2-1/2 minutes per side for rare or until steak reaches desired doneness. Transfer to a plate to rest.
- Divide the spinach between two plates and arrange the orange segments and onion slices on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook just until they begin to develop a golden color, about 2 minutes. Stir the dressing again and add 5 tablespoons to the pan. Add the orange marmalade and continue cooking until bubbly while you slice the steak.
- Slice the steak into strips, add them to the marmalade mixture. Remove from the heat and stir to coat the steak thoroughly.
- Top each plate of spinach with steak and garnish with cashews and baguette croutons. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salads and serve immediately.
If desired, rub some thin slices of baguette with garlic, butter lightly and toast until golden. Arrange around the edges of the plate.