This salad of thinly sliced mushrooms, diced fresh tomatoes and parsley tossed is tossed with a zesty garlic vinaigrette. It can be prepared up to a day ahead and makes a great side dish to serve alongside grilled steaks or pork chops.
Mushroom and Tomato Salad
- 10 ounces large white button mushrooms
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- Dash of hot sauce, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the stems from the mushrooms and reserve for another use. Cut the caps into 1/8-inch thick slices and place them in a large colander over a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set the mixture aside for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. This allows the mushrooms and tomatoes to give off some of their excess moisture.
- While the mushrooms stand, make the dressing by whisking the olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard and garlic together in a separate bowl. Stir in a dash of hot sauce if desired.
- Transfer the mushroom-tomato mixture to a serving bowl, add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the parsley, toss again and adjust the seasoning as needed. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.