A festive choice for a holiday party, Mulled Wine is a hot wine punch flavored with fragrant mulling spices and fresh oranges.
A simple infusion of red wine and fragrant spices, mulled wine is a traditional drink served during the Christmas season in the UK.
Traditional mulling spices can include any of the following: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, star anise, cardamom, black pepper, orange peel, and raisins.
- 1 bottle (750 ml) full-bodied red wine (e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel)
- 1 large navel orange (preferably organic)
- 1/4 cup of brandy
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 to 4 tablespoons honey
- Cut about 1/2-inch from each end of the orange, grate the zest from both pieces and set aside.
- Cut the remaining orange into 3/8-inch thick slices and add them to a large saucepan.
- Add the zest, wine, brandy, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, and honey and gradually heat over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the whole spices and ladle the wine into serving mugs.