Mulled Cider is a fragrant blend of apple cider, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, orange and brandy that's the perfect nightcap for a chilly winter evening.
- 1 quart unfiltered apple cider
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 unpeeled orange (preferably organic), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple or regular brandy (see notes)
- Orange twists for garnish
- Combine the cider, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice, nutmeg, orange and brandy in a large saucepan. Gently warm the ingredients over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the spices, pour into mugs and garnish with an orange twist.
For a little extra kick, wait and stir the brandy in just before serving.