Mini Chipotle Cheesesteaks
Whether you’re hosting a game day party or cooking for the family, flavor-filled sandwiches are always a hit. Our Mini Chipotle Cheesesteaks are twist on a classic cheesesteak, made with a spicy chipotle mayo spread, sweet roasted bell peppers, homemade pickled red onions and gooey Muenster cheese.
These mini steak sandwiches have a deliciously unique balance of flavors and the White Sub Rolls from Cobblestone Bread Co. we chose are not only perfect for holding in all the savory juices, they’re also easy to cut into party-sized portions.
- 2 lbs boneless top sirloin steak (see notes)
- 6 CBC White Sub Rolls
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- Pickled Red Onions
For the roasted peppers:
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chipotle mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large clove garlic (1-1/2 teaspoons), very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large, shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Trim the excess fat from the edges of the steaks, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- While the steaks chill, place the bell pepper strips in a medium bowl, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and arrange them in a single layer on the prepared pan.
- Roast until tender, 16 to 20 minutes, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Replace the parchment on the baking pan and leave the oven on.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and garlic in a small bowl and season to taste with black pepper. Transfer to a small jar or serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the steaks from the freezer and slice them against the grain into very thin strips (1/8-inch).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and a few grinds of black pepper for the marinade. Add the sliced steak a handful at a time and combine to coat after each addition. Set aside for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Working in small batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, cook the steak until no longer pink, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Transfer cooked steak to a platter and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, trim the rounded ends from CBC's White Sub Rolls. Slice the rolls in half horizontally, then cut each into 2 pieces and arrange them on the parchment-lined baking pan.
Tip: Don't waste the trimmed ends of the rolls! Cut them into cubes and freeze to make croutons with them later.
- Spread about 1-1/2 teaspoons of the chipotle mayo on the bottom half of each sandwich. Top each with a portion of steak, a few strips of roasted bell pepper and a half slice of Muenster cheese.
- Place the sandwiches in the oven until the cheese has melted and the rolls are lightly toasted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven, add some pickled red onions (recipe below) to each sandwich, secure with a pick and serve.
For best results, choose steaks with light marbling and tenderize them with a multi-blade tenderizer before slicing. This breaks up any tough fibers in the meat. Alternately, you can pierce the steaks all over with the tip of a sharp knife. We don't recommend pounding them.
Compensation for this post was provided by Cobblestone Bread Co. via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cobblestone Bread Co. or AOL.