Riced cauliflower serves as a delicious, carb-free substitute for rice in this easy, one-dish chicken dinner. Prepared in stages in just one pan, the dish combines tender boneless chicken breasts with a topping of tomatoes, Kalamata olives and feta cheese to create a robustly flavored, Mediterranean-style meal.Print
Mediterranean Chicken and Cauliflower “Rice”
Served on a bed of riced cauliflower, this one-dish chicken dinner gets it robust Mediterranean flair from Kalamata olives, tomatoes, garlic and a sprinkling of feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 pieces)
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen riced cauliflower
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted, sliced Kalamata olives
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (plus more for garnish)
- Place the cauliflower in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender and all the liquid has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
- While the cauliflower cooks, place each piece of chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound to an even thickness of 1/2-inch. If necessary, cut into 4 equally-sized pieces. Spread the flour on a plate and combine with 1 teaspoon of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Wipe out the pan you cooked the cauliflower in, place over medium-high heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until barely golden, 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Add the Kalamata olives and tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley, reserving a little for garnish if desired. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken broth, then return the chicken to the pan along with any juices that may have accumulated on the plate. Spoon some of the sauce over each piece, then cover the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken finishes cooking, reheat the cauliflower in the microwave for 2 minutes on high.
- To serve, make a bed of cauliflower on a serving platter (or divide between individual plates) and top with pieces of chicken. Stir the feta cheese into the sauce, then spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with parsley and a little extra feta and serve immediately.