Linguine with Chipotle Onions and Avocado
For this pasta dinner we’ve given caramelized onions a signature flavor by adding chipotle pepper sauce, tequila and agave nectar as they cook. Tossed with linguine, fresh tomato, cilantro and ripe avocado, the resulting dish is a unique blend of sweet, smoky and spicy flavors, perfectly balanced with the buttery flavor of avocado.
- 8 ounces linguine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup tequila (reposado if available)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the linguine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until softened, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, agave nectar, chipotle pepper sauce and tequila and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are nicely caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain and combine with the remaining olive oil and chopped tomato. Season with salt and pepper, then add the onion mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning and add more chipotle pepper sauce if desired.
- To serve, plate a portion of the pasta, sprinkle with cilantro and top with avocado slices.