Chipotle Pasta with Caramelized Onions
This smoky-sweet pasta dish flavored with chipotle pepper sauce is made with caramelized onions, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
For this pasta dinner we’ve given caramelized onions a signature flavor by adding chipotle pepper sauce, tequila and agave nectar as they cook.
Tossed together with linguine and chunks of fresh tomato, the dish is topped with wedges of avocado and a sprinkling of cilantro as a finishing touch.
The resulting dish is a unique blend of sweet, smoky, and spicy flavors, perfectly balanced with the buttery flavor of avocado.
Linguine with Chipotle Onions and Avocado
- 6 ounces linguine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the linguine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until softened, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, agave nectar, chipotle pepper sauce, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are nicely caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain and combine with the remaining olive oil and chopped tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the onion mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning and add more chipotle pepper sauce if desired.
- To serve, plate a portion of the pasta, top with avocado slices, and sprinkle with cilantro.