Lemongrass Poached Tilapia with Baby Bok Choy
A fragrant broth infused with lemongrass, shallots and chilis makes a delicious poaching liquid for tilapia fillets and tender baby bok choy. Served over cellophane noodles and drizzled with sauce, this combination is light, healthful and full of flavor.
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 to 2 Thai bird chiles (or other variety of choice)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass (white part only), sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces cooked cellophane noodles (see notes), or steamed rice
- Season the fish fillets on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and chili and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, sugar, lemongrass and chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse the broth.
- Strain the broth and return it to the pan. Add the fish, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, whisk the cornstarch and soy sauce together in a small bowl and plate a portion of cellophane noodles on each of 4 plates.
- Once the fish has cooked for 3 minutes, gently add the bok choy, cover and continue cooking 2 minutes more, or until bok choy is crisp-tender and the fish is cooked through.
- Place 3 pieces of bok choy on each plate and place a piece of fish on top of the noodles (or rice).
- Raise the heat on the broth to high and add the soy-cornstarch mixture. Cook until bubbling and slightly thickened, then drizzle the sauce over the fish, noodles and bok choy.
Preparing cellophane noodles:
Normally, the easiest way to prepare cellophane noodles is to place them in a large bowl, cover them with boiling water and allow them to soften to the desired consistency. Time will vary by brand, so check them after 2 minutes and keep checking every minute or so until texture suits your taste. Drain and set aside until ready to use.