Jarlsberg and Cranberry Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
This turkey meatloaf is easy to make and pretty enough to serve for company. The combination of Jarlsberg cheese, sage and cranberries really brings tremendous flavor to the ground turkey, and when served with the Apple, Sage and Riesling Compote, it makes an elegant, relatively economical meal.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey (or chicken)
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg cheese, divided
- Apple, Sage and Riesling Compote
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the ground turkey (or chicken), breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and egg in a large mixing bowl. Lay a sheet of wax paper about 18-inches long on the counter and transfer the meat mixture to it. Gently pat the meat into a 12x15-inch rectangle of even thickness.
- Scatter the chopped dried cranberries and sage over the meat to within 1 inch of the edges. Top with 3/4 cup of the grated Jarlsberg. Lift the wax paper on one of the short ends and carefully begin rolling the meat mixture into a log, gently patting the meat together and peeling back the wax paper as you roll. Gently press on the ends and seal the seam lengthwise. Transfer to a shallow baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink and thoroughly cooked. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining grated cheese. Slice and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with Apple, Sage and Riesling Compote (recipe follows).
For an alcohol-free version of this recipe, increase the cider to 1-1/4 cups, replace the riesling with 3/4 cup of chicken broth and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. The flavor will be a bit different but still delicious.
About Jarlsberg cheese:
Jarlsberg is a semi-soft, cow's milk cheese that, like Swiss, has large round holes. It has a rich, buttery texture and a mild, nutty flavor. Good for both cooking and serving as a snack, Jarlsberg is widely available in both slices and wedges at grocers nationwide.