Italian Salad With Basil Vinaigrette
This tossed Italian salad includes Genoa salami, provolone cheese for added flavor and a delicious fresh basil vinaigrette.
Thin strips of Genoa salami, chunks of sharp provolone cheese and fresh basil add plenty of zesty, Italian-style flavor to this tossed salad.
The vinaigrette is best made just before serving to get the freshest flavor from the basil.
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 cups radicchio, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 6 thin slices Genoa salami, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/3 cup sharp provolone cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 or 4 paper-thin slices of red onion, separated into rings
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Basil Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- Combine the lettuce, radicchio, salami, provolone, red onion, cucumber and tomatoes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic and onion in a blender or the work bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- With the machine running, add the olive oil and blend completely, then add the basil leaves one by one and process until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, add the grated Romano cheese and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 833mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.