Hot Buttered Rum
Hot buttered rum is a classic hot cocktail filled with seasonal flavors and good cheer.
When the temperatures plunge outside, it's nice to serve your guests a cocktail of warming spirits and seasonal spice.
Below you'll find a recipe for an all-time favorite, Hot Buttered Rum. It's perfect for holiday celebrations and throughout the winter months.
- 8 ounces light brown sugar
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the batter:
- In a mixing bowl beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices until well combined.
- Set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend (see notes).
To make the Hot Buttered Rum cocktail:
- In a pre-heated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tablespoons batter with 1-1/2 ounces of quality dark rum.
- Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon for extra stirring.
It's a nice idea to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to bring it to room temperature prior to serving.
You can make extra if desired and keep it refrigerates in an airtight, reusable container for up to a month.