Tartar sauce is a classic accompaniment for fried, baked and broiled fish and this homemade version is easy to prepare. Made with freshly squeezed lemon juice and dill it has a bright, clean flavor you won’t find in the store-bought variety.Print
Homemade Tartar Sauce
Whip up a homemade tartar sauce with fresh lemon juice, capers, chopped dill pickles and fresh dill to accompany simple fish and seafood entrees.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: approximately 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons dill pickles, drained and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 or 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh dill (or parsley), finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.