Homemade breakfast sausage is very easy to prepare and a great way to turn a run-of-the-mill breakfast into a great meal. Prepared with ground pork, fresh herbs and a hint of sweetness from apple cider, these sausage patties are great served with scrambled eggs, or add them to a homemade version of an egg and sausage English muffin sandwich.Print
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
Perfect to serve with your favorite eggs, our homemade breakfast sausage recipe is a tasty combination of ground pork, fresh herbs and a splash of apple cider.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 slice sourdough or Italian bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Tear the bread into small cubes (you should have about 1 cup) and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with the apple cider, let soak for 5 minutes, then mash the mixture into a paste with a fork.
- Drain any excess cider from the bowl, then add the ground pork, salt, parsley, sage, thyme, coriander, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Combine thoroughly and form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Fry the sausage patties in batches over medium-high heat until golden brown and cooked through, 3 minutes per side.
- Leftover sausage patties can be individually wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, wrap frozen patties in foil and place in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes, or place in a covered frying pan over low heat until heated through.