Homemade breakfast sausage is very easy to prepare and a great way to turn a run-of-the-mill breakfast into a great meal. Prepared with ground pork, fresh herbs and a hint of sweetness from apple cider, these sausage patties are great served with scrambled eggs, or add them to a homemade version of an egg and sausage English muffin sandwich.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
Perfect to serve with your favorite eggs, our homemade breakfast sausage recipe is a tasty combination of ground pork, fresh herbs and a splash of apple cider.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 slice sourdough or Italian bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Tear the bread into small cubes (you should have about 1 cup) and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with the apple cider, let soak for 5 minutes, then mash the mixture into a paste with a fork.
- Drain any excess cider from the bowl, then add the ground pork, salt, parsley, sage, thyme, coriander, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Combine thoroughly and form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Fry the sausage patties in batches over medium-high heat until golden brown and cooked through, 3 minutes per side.
- Leftover sausage patties can be individually wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, wrap frozen patties in foil and place in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes, or place in a covered frying pan over low heat until heated through.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply