Holiday Spiced Rum and Cider Cocktail
Made with dark rum, ginger liqueur and hard cider, this cocktail is full of seasonal flavor thanks to an easy-to-make, spiced simple syrup.
- 1-1/2 ounces dark rum
- 1/2 ounce ginger liqueur
- 1 ounce holiday-spiced simple syrup (see below)
- Dry hard cider
- Orange bitters
- Apple wedge for garnish
- Fill a shaker halfway with ice. Add the rum, ginger liqueur and simple syrup. Shake vigorously and strain into a glass. Top with hard apple cider and a dash or two of orange bitters. Garnish with an apple wedge.
How to make holiday-spiced simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Remove from the heat and add: 1 cinnamon stick, 6 cloves, 6 whole allspice berries and 1 tablespoon dried orange peel or 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest.
- Cover the syrup and let it stand for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop, then strain into a jar. Syrup will keep, tightly covered for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1-1/4 cups
You could probably substitute spiced rum and standard simple syrup to make this cocktail, but we love the subtle orange flavor of our homemade syrup.
About the cider:
Look for either Rekorderlig and Kopparberg brand ciders in your local liquor store. We've used them both with great results.