Herbed Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Sure to become a family favorite, these delicious boneless chicken breasts are rolled around a simple yet flavorful mix of goat cheese and fresh herbs, then coated with crumbs, browned in the skillet and finished in the oven until tender and golden.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a baking dish large enough to hold the rolled chicken breasts in single layer with nonstick spray and set aside.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to an even thickness of about 1/4-inch.
- Lay out 4 fresh sheets of plastic wrap and place 1 piece of chicken on each.
- Place the goat cheese and chopped herbs in a small bowl. Combine until smooth, then place 1/4 of the mixture in the center of each piece of chicken. Spread the mixture out, keeping it about 3/4-inch from the edges.
- Fold the narrower end of the chicken breast over the cheese mixture and roll into a cylinder. Keeping the seam side on the bottom, pull the edges of the plastic wrap up around the chicken and twist tighly to seal. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, preferably 1 hour.
- Note: Refrigerating helps to firm the chicken and keep the roll together. If you'd rather not take the extra hour, simply secure the roll at the seam with a couple of toothpicks.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish (a pie plate works well for this) and spread the breadcrumbs in another dish or on a sheet of wax paper. Add the salt and a few grinds of black pepper to the crumbs and combine well.
- Carefully dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Film the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and cook, turning carefully, until lightly golden on all sides, about 2 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish (seam side down) and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
About the herbs:
You can use any herbs you like in this dish. We happen to like a combination of basil and dill, but parsley, chives and tarragon are good choices as well. Feel free to experiment.