Sure to become a family favorite, these delicious boneless chicken breasts are rolled around a simple yet flavorful mix of goat cheese and fresh herbs, then coated with crumbs, browned in the skillet and finished in the oven until tender and golden.Print
Herbed Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
An easy recipe for crumb-coated chicken breasts filled with a delicious combination of goat cheese and fresh herbs and baked until tender and golden brown.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a baking dish large enough to hold the rolled chicken breasts in single layer with nonstick spray and set aside.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to an even thickness of about 1/4-inch.
- Lay out 4 fresh sheets of plastic wrap and place 1 piece of chicken on each.
- Place the goat cheese and chopped herbs in a small bowl. Combine until smooth, then place 1/4 of the mixture in the center of each piece of chicken. Spread the mixture out, keeping it about 3/4-inch from the edges.
- Fold the narrower end of the chicken breast over the cheese mixture and roll into a cylinder. Keeping the seam side on the bottom, pull the edges of the plastic wrap up around the chicken and twist tighly to seal. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, preferably 1 hour.
- Note: Refrigerating helps to firm the chicken and keep the roll together. If you’d rather not take the extra hour, simply secure the roll at the seam with a couple of toothpicks.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish (a pie plate works well for this) and spread the breadcrumbs in another dish or on a sheet of wax paper. Add the salt and a few grinds of black pepper to the crumbs and combine well.
- Carefully dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Film the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and cook, turning carefully, until lightly golden on all sides, about 2 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish (seam side down) and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
About the herbs:
You can use any herbs you like in this dish. We happen to like a combination of basil and dill, but parsley, chives and tarragon are good choices as well. Feel free to experiment.