Herb and Shallot Smashed Potatoes
Fresh herbs and sautéed shallots add flavor and originality to this side dish of buttery, smashed Yukon Gold potatoes.
Sautéed shallots paired with fresh thyme, sage, cream and plenty of butter, add both flavor and texture to this updated take on traditional mashed potatoes.
Thanks to their naturally buttery flavor, Yukon Golds are the potato of choice for this dish. They also have thin skins, which we leave on, and combined with the shallots and herbs, they give these potatoes a rustic quality that pairs particularly well with roasted meats and poultry.
- 2-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half (more if needed)
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add 2 teaspoons of salt and stir to dissolve.
- Boil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Drain and return to the heat for about 1 minute to allow all the excess moisture to evaporate.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, then add the thyme and sage.
- Stir in the cream and continue cooking for 2 minutes longer, or until the cream is heated through.
- Add the cream mixture to the drained potatoes, stir to combine, then gently mash with a potato masher, adding a little more cream if needed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.
Cutting the potatoes into smaller cubes before cooking makes it easier to mash the potatoes and blend the butter and cream mixture thoroughly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 107mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g