Sweet honey ham, fresh pears and tangy blue cheese combine with gooey, melted Muenster in these easy and delicious pita melts. We chose pita loaves because they keep the sandwich light, despite the richness of the cheese, but you could easily make this dish into a more conventional style grilled cheese by using something like sourdough bread.Print
Ham, Blue Cheese and Pear Melts
A tangy spread made with blue cheese and sour cream combines with creamy, melted Muenster, sweet honey ham and fresh pears to make these light and yummy pita melts.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces thinly sliced honey ham
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 thin slices Muenster cheese
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced
- 4 6-inch pita loaves
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the crumbled blue cheese and sour cream and blend until smooth.
- Cut the pita loaves in half crosswise, and spread about 2 teaspoons of the blue cheese mixture inside each of the 8 halves. Next line the pita with a slice of the muenster, then layer in the ham and the pear slices.
- Working in 2 batches, heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add 4 of the pita halves and cook until the pita is golden on the outside and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining pitas and serve immediately.