Ham, Blue Cheese and Pear Melts
A tangy spread made with blue cheese and sour cream combine with melted Muenster, honey ham, and fresh pears to make these light and yummy pita melts.
The sweetness of honey ham and sliced fresh pears combine with tangy blue cheese and smooth-melting Muenster to give these easy pita melts a robust blend of contrasting flavors.
We chose pita loaves because they keep the sandwich light, despite the richness of the cheese, but you could easily make this dish into a more conventional style grilled cheese by using something like sourdough bread.
- 6 ounces thinly sliced honey ham
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 thin slices low-sodium Muenster cheese
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced
- 4 pita pockets (6-inch)
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the crumbled blue cheese and sour cream and blend until smooth.
- Cut the pita loaves in half crosswise, and spread about 2 teaspoons of the blue cheese mixture inside each of the 8 halves. Next line the pita with a slice of the muenster, then layer in the ham and the pear slices.
- Working in 2 batches, heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add 4 of the pita halves and cook until the pita is golden on the outside and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining pitas and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 1037mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 20g