Grilled Steak Salad with Horseradish Ranch Dressing
To make this simple dinner salad we sliced a couple of grilled New York strip steaks and served them with fresh tomatoes, cucumber and sweet onion atop a bed of crisp romaine. The dressing is our homemade Buttermilk Ranch spiced up with a dollop of horseradish to complement the beef. Serve with garlic toast to complete the meal.
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs New York strip steaks
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 thin slices sweet onion
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a high heat. Rub the steaks on both sides with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- While the grill preheats, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil and horseradish together until smooth. Stir in the garlic and chives, season to taste with black pepper and set aside.
- Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onion slices on four serving plates.
- Grill the steaks to the desired doneness and allow them to rest for 7 to 10 minutes. Slice them thinly across the grain and divide between the salads. Drizzle with a little dressing and pass the rest at the table.