To make this simple dinner salad we sliced a couple of grilled New York strip steaks and served them with fresh tomatoes, cucumber and sweet onion atop a bed of crisp romaine. The dressing is our homemade Buttermilk Ranch spiced up with a dollop of horseradish to complement the beef. Serve with garlic toast to complete the meal.Print
Grilled Steak Salad with Horseradish Ranch Dressing
An easy main course salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers, topped with thinly-sliced grilled steak and homemade Horseradish Ranch Dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs New York strip steaks
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 thin slices sweet onion
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely choppe
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a high heat. Rub the steaks on both sides with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- While the grill preheats, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil and horseradish together until smooth. Stir in the garlic and chives, season to taste with black pepper and set aside.
- Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onion slices on four serving plates.
- Grill the steaks to the desired doneness and allow them to rest for 7 to 10 minutes. Slice them thinly across the grain and divide between the salads. Drizzle with a little dressing and pass the rest at the table.