Greek Pesto Chicken Pizza
This pesto chicken pizza is made with Greek-inspired flavors that include spinach, feta cheese, and oregano.
The flavor combinations in this homemade pesto and chicken pizza are a nice change from traditional tomato sauce and cheese.
Instead of tomato-based pizza sauce, we made a Greek-style pesto with fresh spinach and oregano, garlic and lemon.
In keeping with Greek-inspired flavors, we seasoned the chicken fresh oregano and lemon and added feta cheese along with mozzarella for the topping.
For the crust, you can try our homemade dough recipe that follows or you can save time and use store-bought.
LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS: If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a comment below. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, or sign up for our email list to get our recipes sent directly to your inbox.
Greek Pesto Chicken Pizza
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken:
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the pizza:
- 1/4 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, see notes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
- Homemade dough for a 13-inch round pizza, (or store bought)
- Place the spinach leaves, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, oregano, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse repeatedly until the mixture forms a coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Season the chicken with oregano, salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer and sauté just until no longer pink in the middle ~ about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Sprinkle with lemon juice, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a 13-inch pizza pan with nonstick spray and place the pizza dough in the center. Flatten with the palm of your hand, then, using your fingertips, press and stretch the dough to form a 13-inch circle, creating a slightly thicker rim around the edge. Pinch out any air bubbles that may have formed.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the crust to within 3/4-inch of the edge. Distribute the onion and pepper slices on top, then add the chicken. Top with the feta cheese, then the mozzarella.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown and crisp on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.