The filling for these little dumplings is simple to prepare, and because you are starting out with cooked shrimp, they cook up pretty quickly. The assembly process can be a bit of a challenge if, like me, you are not adept at pleating the wonton wrappers around the filling, but don’t let that discourage you from making them.
Sweet And Spicy Ginger Shrimp Shui Mai
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 24 round won ton wrappers
For the dipping sauce:
- 4 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Place the shrimp in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine the green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch. Add this mixture to the shrimp and pulse again until well blended and fairly smooth. Refrigerate until you are ready to make dumplings.
- To assemble the dumplings, place about two teaspoons of filling in the center of a won ton wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with a water moistened finger, and fold the sides upward, pleating the wrapper as you go around, leaving the top center open. Place each assembled dumpling on a large platter and cover lightly with plastic wrap to keep moist as you continue to work.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining the sweet Thai chili sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Pour into a serving dish and set aside until ready to serve.
- To steam the dumplings, place a steamer rack in a large pot with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. Line the rack with lettuce leaves, or brush with sesame oil, then bring water to a boil. Arrange the dumplings on the rack in a single layer, but not touching. You will probably have to work in batches. Cover and steam for 8 minutes. Serve hot with dipping sauce.