Roasted baby potatoes make a fabulous side dish for a huge variety of entrées. Even when they’re tossed with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper, they have a natural buttery flavor that’s hard to beat. This recipe takes that great flavor to the next level by adding lots of garlic, crisp bacon and tangy blue cheese. Serve with simple main dishes like grilled steak, roast chicken or broiled fish.Print
Garlic-Roasted Baby Potatoes with Blue Cheese and Bacon
Baby potatoes oven-roasted with lots of garlic, then tossed with bits of crisp bacon and tangy blue cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1–1/2 lbs baby potatoes, quartered
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Heat a heavy, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Fry until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan along with the potatoes and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast until the potatoes are golden brown and tender, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring midway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven, add the bacon and adjust the seasoning as needed. Allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the blue cheese and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
For best results, choose a good quality, creamy blue cheese. When you toss a creamy blue with the hot potatoes, it melts a little and coats the potatoes, adding extra flavor and a little richness to the dish. We like Castello Rosenborg Extra Creamy Danish Blue Cheese – it’s easy to find in the better cheese section of many grocery stores.