Skin-on red potatoes, garlic, butter, cream, salt and pepper are all you need to make richly flavored garlic mashed potatoes that everyone will love.Print
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Sometimes simple is best and our garlic mashed potatoes are quick and easy to make and have just a few ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 medium cloves garlic, peeled and left whole (see notes)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk (plus more if needed)
- Salt and white pepper
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until both the potatoes and garlic cloves are tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Place the pan back on the heat and allow the water to evaporate, 1/2 to 1 minute. Add the butter, cream and milk. Stir to combine and once the butter melts, mash all the ingredients together with a potato masher.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper. If desired, add more milk (or cream) for a creamier consistency. Serve immediately.
If your garlic cloves are especially large, halve them lengthwise before cooking.