These sandwiches make a light meal that's really quick and easy to prepare. The chicken cooks up in just a few minutes and the Cucumber-Yogurt sauce takes no time at all to put together. Serve with a handful of kettle cooked potato chips and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.Print
Garlic and Lemon Chicken Pita
These quick, easy chicken pitas with feta cheese and cucumber yogurt sauce make for a light, flavorful meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Four 7-inch pita loaves
Cucumber Yogurt sauce:
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pound the chicken breast fillets to a uniform 1/2-inch thickness and slice in half lengthwise. Season on both sides with salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish.
- Combine the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and oregano in a glass measure. Pour over the chicken and turn each piece several times to coat well. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside for the flavors to develop.
- Tightly wrap the pita bread in foil and place in the oven to warm at 300°F.
- Pour the oil mixture off the chicken into a large pan and heat for 2 minutes over medium heat. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken. Cook, turning several times, until light golden brown and no longer pink in the middle, about 3 to 3-1/2 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, cut each pita in half crosswise and separate each half to make pockets. Line each pocket with lettuce, add the tomato, onion and a piece of chicken. Add about 1 tablespoon each of crumbled feta and the yogurt sauce.
If you're really pressed for time, you could use store-bought rotisserie chicken. Just toss it with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch each of garlic powder and oregano so you don't lose all that good garlic and lemon flavor.