Pumpkin Cream Cheese Brownies
Chocolate connoisseurs are sure to love these richly-flavored, fall-inspired brownies made with pumpkin purée and cream cheese.
These brownies are a trifecta of decadently delicious fall flavors and the perfect bite to serve at a party or as an after-school treat.
Why We Love This Recipe
Pumpkin-spice, chocolate, and cream cheese – what’s not to love?
When it comes to cookies, cakes, and desserts, we favor recipes that are lightly sweetened, and these brownies definitely fall into that category. In addition to the fact that the sugar quantities are pretty low to begin with, the tang of the swirled-in cream cheese also cuts the sweetness and enhances the rich, fudge-like texture of the finished product.
The pumpkin flavor is subtle and combines beautifully with the bittersweet baking chocolate and spices. While spices like cinnamon and nutmeg may not be your first thought when it comes to chocolate desserts, once you’ve had an opportunity to try that combination, we’re certain you’ll want more.
More Chocolate and Spice Recipes
LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS: If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a comment below. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, or sign up for our email list to get our recipes sent directly to your inbox.
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Brownies
- 6 oz baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter, (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 5 eggs, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Break the chocolate into small chunks and combine with the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until the butter is completely melted. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the brown sugar and continue stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Beat 4 of the eggs together with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and combine well. Add the chocolate mixture and continue mixing until smooth. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine the cream cheese and pumpkin purée with the last egg and remaining quantities of flour (2 Tbsp) and vanilla (1 tsp). Add the granulated sugar and, using a wire whisk, combine until smooth and creamy. Drop large spoonfuls evenly over the brownie batter and swirl in with a knife.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 24 squares. Store in the refrigerator and set out at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.