Fruit and Ginger Chutney
This versatile fresh fruit and ginger chutney can be served with pan-seared or grilled chicken, salmon or pork.
This fruit and ginger chutney is a delicious blend of diced fruit, raisins, shallots and fresh ginger.
It can be made from any combination of Bosc pears, Asian pears, or crisp apple varieties like Golden Delicious or Granny Smith.
Serve with simple entrees like grilled or pan-seared chicken, roasted salmon, pork or ham.
- 1 cup apple, pear, or Asian pear, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely choppped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, drain well.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and ginger and cook until soft and fragrant, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Add the fruit, lemon juice, honey, salt and raisins. Continue cooking until the fruit is tender, but hasn't started to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and allow to cool before serving.
For optimal flavor, prepare chutney 12 to 24 hours in advance.