Rice pudding is a quick and simple dessert to prepare, and the combination of milk, cream and coconut milk in this recipe gives the basmati rice a delightfully fragrant quality. The addition of five-spice enhances the vanilla with just a hint of exotic flavor.Print
Five-Spice Vanilla Rice Pudding
Making your own rice pudding is very simple, and this Five Spice Vanilla variety is the perfect end to a meal of Asian cuisine.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 13 to 14 oz can of light coconut milk
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the basmati rice in cool water for about 20 minutes, then drain through a sieve.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove from heat. Divide pudding into custard cups. Serve pudding warm or slightly chilled with a fresh fruit topping, if desired.