Baked in a muffin pan, these individual servings of stuffing are made with dried figs, chopped chestnuts and a bit of bourbon.
They're the perfect complement to our Cornish Game Hens with Bourbon Glaze but can be served with roast turkey, chicken or pork as well.Print
Fig and Chestnut Stuffing Muffins
Baked in a muffin pan, these Individual servings of stuffing made with chestnuts and dried figs have a sweet-savory flavor that's perfect for serving with roasted poultry or pork.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 4 cups soft bread cubes (crusts removed)
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until lightly crisp, but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a large bowl. Add the figs and chestnuts and toss to combine.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the bourbon and chicken broth to the bread cube mixture. Combine thoroughly, then add the beaten egg, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the cooled onion-celery mixture along with the chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Divide the stuffing mixture between the muffin cups, pressing lightly. Use about 1/2 cup of stuffing per cup. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
You can prepare this dish a day ahead and reheat the muffins wrapped tightly in foil for 15 minutes at 350°F.