Fig and Chestnut Stuffing Muffins
Baked in a muffin pan, these individual servings of stuffing have a sweet-savory flavor that's perfect for serving with roasted poultry or pork.
We created this recipe to pair with our Cornish Game Hens with Bourbon Glaze as part of a holiday menu for a small gathering.
These stuffing muffins are made with dried figs, chopped chestnuts and a bit of bourbon for added flavor. They're a nice alternative to a casserole of stuffing and go just as nicely with roast turkey, chicken or pork as they do with the cornish hens.
- 4 cups soft bread cubes (crusts removed)
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until lightly crisp, but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a large bowl. Add the figs and chestnuts and toss to combine.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the bourbon and chicken broth to the bread cube mixture. Combine thoroughly, then add the beaten egg, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the cooled onion-celery mixture along with the chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Divide the stuffing mixture between the muffin cups, pressing lightly. Use about 1/2 cup of stuffing per cup. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
You can prepare this dish a day ahead and reheat the muffins wrapped tightly in foil for 15 minutes at 350°F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 190mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g