This dish is a Greek-style twist on Chicken Parmesan. The tomato-dill sauce has a fresh, pungent flavor and a drizzle of lemon juice added just before serving a tangy note that works nicely with the salty flavor of the feta cheese. Served with a side of spinach-orzo and roasted green beans, this dinner comes together in just about 45 minutes.
Feta-Topped Chicken With Dill-Tomato Sauce
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped (see notes)
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a baking dish large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer with nonstick spray.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Combine the flour with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper and spread on a sheet of waxed paper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until barely golden, 2 to 2-1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Lower the heat on the pan to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, combine well and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the dill, taste, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Note: The feta cheese will add a bit of overall saltiness to the dish, so be conservative when salting the sauce.
- Top the chicken breasts, first with the sauce, then with the crumbled feta. Bake, uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is softened and slightly melted. Remove from the oven, drizzle with lemon juice and serve immediately.