Farro with Sausage, Mushrooms and Shallots
Farro is a delicious, healthy alternative to pasta and this recipe combines it with Italian sausage and mushrooms to make an easy one-dish dinner.
Farro is an ancient grain that has been a staple of rustic Italian cuisine for hundreds of years. It's easy to prepare and makes a deliciously healthful alternative to pasta.
For this simple one-dish dinner, we've combined it with sweet Italian sausage, sautéed mushrooms, shallots and a handful of scallions for a splash of color and extra flavor.
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage (4 links)
- 1-1/2 cups semi-pearled or pearled farro
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini (or white button) mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3 to 4 scallions, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the sausage links into pieces about 1/2-inch thick (kitchen shears work well for this) and set aside.
- Using low-sodium chicken broth in place of plain water, cook and drain the farro according to the package directions. Set aside.
- While the farro simmers, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the excess fat from the pan, transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan along with the shallots. Sauté over medium heat until softened, 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue sautéeing until they're nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Return the sausage to the pan, add the scallions and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir in the cooked farro, then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Plate individual servings and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 729mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 18g