Three members of the onion family ~ sweet onions, shallots and leeks combine with butter and cream for a rich, but mildly flavored sauce for egg noodles. These noodles make a nice side for pungently flavored meats and poultry. We served them with Orange And Rosemary Sauced Pork Cutlets.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Egg Noodles With Three Onion Cream Sauce
Dress up egg noodles with a mild, creamy sauce of onion, shallot, leek and chives.
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the egg noodles in salted, boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and just beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots and leeks and continue cooking, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes longer. If you find the mixture is starting to brown, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Slowly add the cream, stirring constantly to combine. Add the drained noodles, combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives and serve.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply