Three members of the onion family ~ sweet onions, shallots and leeks combine with butter and cream for a rich, but mildly flavored sauce for egg noodles. These noodles make a nice side for pungently flavored meats and poultry. We served them with Orange And Rosemary Sauced Pork Cutlets.
Egg Noodles With Three Onion Cream Sauce
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the egg noodles in salted, boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and just beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots and leeks and continue cooking, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes longer. If you find the mixture is starting to brown, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Slowly add the cream, stirring constantly to combine. Add the drained noodles, combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives and serve.