Pumpkin purée, fresh sage, shallots, butter and a little cream combine to make a quick and easy sauce to coat broad egg noodles. The dish makes a perfect companion for baked chicken, pork chops or ham.Print
Egg Noodles with Pumpkin Brown Butter and Sage
A side dish of egg noodles tossed in an easy-to-make sauce made with pumpkin purée, fresh sage, brown butter, shallots and cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
- 6 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, toss to coat and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to foam. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sage and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is lightly browned and has developed a nutty aroma. Don't leave unattended as the butter can go from browned to burned very quickly.
- Stir in the pumpkin puré and cream until smooth and well blended. Add the noodles and combine well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.