Our simple pumpkin brown butter sauce is made with pumpkin purée, butter, fresh sage, shallots and a little cream. It’s perfect for coating broad egg noodles to make a delicious fall side dish that goes great with main dishes like baked or roasted chicken, pork chops, roast pork or baked ham.Print
Egg Noodles with Pumpkin Brown Butter and Sage
This is a fall-inspired side dish recipe of egg noodles tossed in an easy-to-make pumpkin brown butter sauce flavored with fresh sage, shallots and cream. Serve as a delicious accompaniment for main dishes like baked chicken, roast pork and ham.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
- 6 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, toss to coat and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to foam. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sage and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is lightly browned and has developed a nutty aroma. Don’t leave unattended as the butter can go from browned to burned very quickly.
- Stir in the pumpkin puré and cream until smooth and well blended. Add the noodles and combine well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.