Egg Noodles with Mushrooms and Bacon
This is a comforting side dish of egg noodles, mushrooms and bacon, coated with a light sherry-cream sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 12 ounces broad egg noodles
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup sherry (see notes)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the egg noodles.
- Fry the bacon in a large pan until crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside. Pour off all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat and return the pan to the stove. Add the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute, then add the mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the bacon and sherry and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, until most of the sherry has evaporated, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- While the mushrooms and sherry simmer, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- Reduce the heat on the mushroom mixture to low, add the cream and cook until slightly thickened, about 1-1/2 minutes. Add the noodles and parsley and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
We really like the flavor the sherry adds to this dish, but you could substitute white wine, chicken broth or even apple cider if you’re not a fan of the taste of sherry.