Easy Lentil Salad
This lentil salad is easy to prepare and can be served as a side dish, or transformed into a main dish using our recipe variations.
Lentils are a truly healthful food, high in protein and potassium and low in fat. This salad recipe is super simple and very versatile.
It can be served as a side dish, warm or chilled, or as a main course using one of the variations below.
To make this lentil salad into a main dish:
Vegetarian Greek Lentil Salad:
Replace the sherry vinegar in the recipe with the juice and zest of 1 lemon and add 6 ounces of crumbled feta cheese and 1/2 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives.
Spanish Style Lentil Salad:
Omit the oregano from the recipe and add 2 links of chopped, cooked chorizo, 3 ounces of manchego cheese cut into small cuber, 1/4 cup toasted almonds, and a pinch of smoked paprika.
Both of these main dish variations make 4 generous servings.
- 1-1/2 cups lentils
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water (or combination)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the lentils, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt and bay leaves in a large pan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and dried oregano.
- Add to the lentils along with the green onion and red bell pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before adding the tomato and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 93mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g