Easy Entertaining: Tips For Hosting A Cocktail Party
Even a casual cocktail party takes careful planning and preparation. Here's a list of simple tips to help keep you organized in the process.
We've got a few tips for hosting a casual get-together where friends and family can drop in at will and not have to worry about conforming to the constraints of a formal dinner party. Of course what's casual and easy for the guests, still requires a lot of planning and organization for the host, so check out our 12 easy tips below.
12 Tips For Throwing A Great Cocktail Party
Here are a dozen easy ideas to ensure your guests have a great (and safe) time.
- Keep your food choices fun and casual.
- Choose foods that have plenty of color and contrast for the best presentation.
- Don't get hung up on making hors d'oeuvres that “go together.”
- Go easy on yourself – serve at least two or three dips with a variety of chips and crackers.
- Serve a variety of both hot and cold foods.
- Make sure the food is easy to eat without utensils.
- Place plenty of paper napkins in several easily spotted locations.
- Make sure most of what you're serving can be made a day or two in advance.
- Stock up on ice.
- Set up your wine bar with “lighter” choices ~ avoid heavily oaked chardonnays and tannic reds for easier pairing.
- Be sure to have non-alcoholic beverages on hand, including pitchers of ice water.
- Have some coffee ready to brew toward the end of the evening.