Easy Dinner Soup Recipes
Satisfying and simple enough for a weeknight meal, these six easy dinner soup recipes are sure to take the chill off a cold winter night.
Countries all over the world serve traditional soups with flavors that are as diverse as their individual cultures.
In America, we consume over 10 billion bowls of soup a year, so when the cold weather rolls in, new recipes for easy dinner soups are always welcome.
Six Easy Dinner Soups from Around the World
This collection features our own simplified versions of a few of the world's best-known soup recipes. Here's a little bit about their origins:
- Ramen noodles have been a staple in Japanese soup since the mid-1850s and were introduced to other cultures by the mid-1950s. Today ramen is served all over the world with dozens of variations.
- Minestrone soup hails from Italy and has been around since the 2nd century. Usually consisting of vegetables, pasta, and beans, there are no set rules as to what else can find its way into minestrone soup!
- Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup), a soup made with spicy sausage (chorizo), potatoes, and kale originated in northern Portugal, and thanks to its robust flavor and hearty, healthy ingredients, its popularity has spread abroad.
- The origins of Mexican tortilla soup aren't well defined, and like minestrone, there are many variations.
- Both Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and beans) and Stracciatella (Italian egg drop soup) are traditional, hearty Italian soups made with inexpensive ingredients.
- Classic versions of split pea soup are made with dried, split peas and flavored with a ham hock or bone. Its origins can be traced back to the Ancient Greeks and Romans, who were cultivating peas as far back as 400 to 400 BC.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Flavored with classic Mexican-inspired spices and fresh lime, this tortilla soup recipe is a satisfying combination of chicken, corn, tomatoes and Monterey Jack cheese.
Spicy Shrimp and Ramen Soup
A satisfying, one-bowl dinner of ramen noodles, shrimp and napa cabbage in a spicy broth flavored with ginger, garlic, and sriracha.
Portuguese Kale Soup - Caldo Verde
Portuguese kale soup is a hearty, flavorful dinner soup made with linguica, kale, onions, and potatoes.
Pasta e Fagioli
This meatless, peasant-style dish from Italy is a simple yet flavorful combination of cannellini beans, tomatoes, pasta and aromatic vegetables simmered in broth to make a thick, satisfying soup.
Stracciatella with Spinach
An Italian-style egg drop soup with fresh spinach, pasta and lots of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.