Crumb-Topped Roasted Cauliflower
Roasting cauliflower in a hot oven produces a tender, sweet product that needs very little in the way of accompanying ingredients in order to taste terrific. Here we've tossed it with a little salt, pepper and olive oil and finished it off with buttery bread crumbs – a simple preparation that complements a wide variety of entrées.
- 1 medium cauliflower, cored and separated into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer on the parchment, brush them with the oil and season lightly with a bit of salt. Cover the entire baking sheet with foil, seal the edges and roast for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the cauliflower roasts, combine the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 425°F and uncover the cauliflower. Return it to the oven and continue to roast for an additional 12 to 15 minutes, or until the largest florets are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Sprinkle the buttered crumbs evenly over the florets and return the cauliflower to the oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until the crumbs are lightly toasted.
- Transfer the florets and any loose crumbs to a large serving bowl. Toss to combine and serve immediately.