Flavored with classic Creole ingredients and spices, this easy version of chicken and rice is made with boneless chicken thighs, onion, celery, red and green bell peppers and tomatoes. Try serving it with another easy-to-make, Creole-style favorite like Oven-Roasted Okra to round out the meal.Print
Creole-Style Chicken and Rice
A hearty, flavorful version of chicken and rice featuring Creole-style spices and ingredients like red and green bell pepper, celery, green onions and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning blend (store bought or recipe below)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups cooked white rice (about 3/4 cup dry)
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs, cut them into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, sprinkle with the Creole seasoning and sauté until no longer pink on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and celery to the pan. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the red and green pepper and cook until the pepper is crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, add the chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Add the scallions and the rice, combine well. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Plate individual servings and serve immediately.
Creole Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Makes 1 well-rounded tablespoon
- For larger quantities use the following ratio:
2 parts salt; 1 part each cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and dried oregano; 1/2 part each black pepper, onion powder and dried thyme.