Braising brussels sprouts in a little cream really brings out their natural sweetness, and when combined with sautéed shallots and toasted walnuts they make an easy, company-worthy side dish that’s perfect for serving with roast pork, turkey or chicken.Print
Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Walnuts
Fresh brussels sprouts braised in cream and combined with toasted walnuts makes a company-worthy side dish perfect for serving with roast pork, beef, turkey or chicken.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1–3/4 lbs brussels sprouts
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and set aside a large bowl of ice water.
- Clean the brussels sprouts; trim the ends, remove loose outside leaves and halve lengthwise. Drop them into the boiling water and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they are bright green and crisp-tender. Quickly drain and add to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the walnuts are lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Add the shallots and brussels sprouts and sauté the mixture for 6 to 8 minutes until the sprouts are light golden around the edges. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the cream and milk and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are very tender and the cream has reduced and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the reserved walnuts, cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, then transfer to a serving dish.
- This dish can be made with frozen brussels sprouts. Skip the blanching process and defrost the sprouts in the refrigerator overnight. Cut them in half lengthwise and proceed with the recipe as written.